I had prepared a draft post for every day my visitors were with us, and this is the last post that I have in my drafts. This means that Crystal and Pedro are off to new pastures – first the ones in Venice – while amore, bestia and I have just returned home to Tuscany. Let’s see what all there was.
Let’s make a quick recap. What a most splendid week!
- Day 1: Fiumicino (first the airport and then mean fried fish in the town of the same name) – Ostia Antica – dinner by amore: timballo and tiramisu.
- Day 2: Pitigliano with lunch at Il Noce – Sovana – Terme di Saturnia. Repeat dinner at home.
- Day 3: Santa Fiora (lunch at wonderful historic restaurant Il Barilotto) – Monte Amiata – Orbetello lagoon.
- Day 4: Off to Slovenia! A 10-hour travel with a two-hour stop in Padua (Padova). My first time! Arrived in Piran exactly for the booked dinner at Pirat.
- Day 5: A stroll around Piran with a swim, a museum, a couple of climbs (to the lighthouse and the walls), and a bunch of Ferraris. Excellent dinner: by father and mother (she bought the lettuce, she said).
- Day 6: A crazy drive from Piran through Italy to Kobarid, along the Soča river, through the Trenta valley to the Julian Alps, over the Vršič pass and its 50 turns, stopping at the Russian chapel and Tonka’s hut for lunch. Slovenian dishes are hard to translate or describe. Ending in Kranjska Gora with Japanese whiskey and Slovenian short ones.
- Day 7: At 6 am I took Crystal and Pedro up to Planina Blato where they started their hike to the Seven Triglav Lakes. We picked them up under the Savica waterfall 13 hours later and had a well-deserved pizza and pivo (they deserved it).
- Day 8: This is today. After coffee at the SEM café with sis in Ljubljana we dropped our visitors off in Venice and arrived home just now.
I really hope to catch you two in Rome before you fly back to the USA. We need to take some photos together!!! I wish you most excellent remaining days!
All three photos are from Pitigliano on Day Two. Most of the ones taken with my new old camera Nikon D5000 (before I said DX but this is just the lens) I still need to see on my big screen at home. Excited! What an AMAZING gift!!
This day in my blogging history
2015: To achieve great things, two things are needed: a plan, and not quite enough time. —Leonard Bernstein
2017: A collection of green doors, while “I just wish to watch atomic basketball that Slovenia is playing and chill. And that’s what I will do, watch me.“ (Slovenia ended up Euro champion without a single loss.)